Troubleshoot Dynamic Wrapper
The Dynamic Wrapper keeps your IDX page wrappers always up-to-date with your website design. This removes the need to contact the Support team for a wrapper "refresh" when your website design or layout changes. Unless it doesn't work and you are left with a white screen with out of context IDX content. If you are having trouble with your Dynamic Wrapper, here are some potential reasons why:
- Incorrect "Dynamic URL" in the IDX Control Panel The "Dynamic URL" is the full link to a page on your website that will be referenced and copied by the IDX system in order to create the wrapper. When you place it in the input box in the Control Panel, it has to match the URL of that page exactly as it appears in the browser's address bar. If your page uses a trailing slash ("/") at the end of the URL, then the URL pasted into your IDX account should include the slash as well. The script for the dynamic wrapper cannot follow redirects, meaning that even missing www. can cause issues.
- Incorrect or duplicate IDX start and stop tags. The HTML "Start" and "Stop" tags that you paste into the body are what tells the IDX system where to insert the IDX content. There are however, other methods to place these tags into your website. (These other methods are not any more effective than using the body of a page. In fact they're more likely to cause problems as they need to be placed very specifically in your theme code.) If you attempt to place your Start/Stop tags by any other methods, be careful not to leave duplicate sets of tags in your code as that will cause an error. View the source code of the page you're using for the dynamic wrapper to verify that the start and stop tags are placed correctly in the main content section, and that they occur only once in that page. If you are using the IMPress for IDX plugin, you can now simply use the shortcode of [idx-wrapper-tags] to place the start and stop tags without error.
- Issues with the HTML markup. If there is poorly formatted HTML code written in your page this can cause the IDX system to get confused while it's reading it. Missing closing tags will have unpredictable results (especially div tags). Make sure that there are no duplicate html, head, title, body tags. There are a number of free online resources to help check and validate the formatting of your code.
- Check if the hosting server allows cURL requests. The Dynamic wrapper is created by a script with the following user agent: IDX Pt Dynamic Wrapper bot (User: <client's user ID>). In certain instances, hosting providers may block requests from non-standard user agents. The best way to identify this issue is to upload the webpage to another server and see if it is working correctly.
- Make sure that the dynamic wrapper url is public and live. The IDX Broker system can only read public sites and as such will not be able to use a wrapper page that is not publicly available.
- Google Maps not working. Google blocks any map API from the IDX Broker server. If you have a Google map on your dynamic wrapper, you will need to setup a custom subdomain to enable this map.
- Facebook share not pulling correct information. Og tags should be removed from your wrapper. IDX Broker will add these open graph tags to each page for facebook integration, but will not override existing content.
- Cannot edit the Wrapper page. Some WordPress plugins, like Visual Composer, allow users to edit pages. The WordPress plugin now creates dynamic wrappers as posts, instead of pages. To allow editing of the dynamic wrapper, you can change VC plugin settings.
The dynamic wrapper information is cached so that there is less of a strain on your pages and those served by IDX Broker. This ensures a speedier experience for your web visitors, but you may notice that changes to your dynamic wrapper page are not immediately available on the IDX Broker pages. If you have the patience, you can wait three hours for this cache to expire and draw in the new version. If you require more immediate change, you can select the "clear wrapper cache" link to immediately clear the cache and update your dynamic wrapper page content.
The IMPress for IDX Broker plugin uses posts to create Wrappers for your IDX content. Here is an article that describes why.
There also may be some issues with sites hosted by CloudFlare. Please visit this article to learn how to clear the cache for Cloudflare.